Starting a new business is an exciting adventure – but it can be confusing, with the constant problem solving and technical know-how. That’s why the Australian Government has created schemes to help you navigate the obstacles and learn from industry experts.
If you’re interested in starting your own business, and are not currently employed or enrolled in any education and training programs, you may be eligible for New Business Assistance with NEIS.
What is NEIS?
NEIS, which stands for New Enterprise Incentive Scheme, is a self-employment initiative to help jobseekers start their own business.
New Business Assistance with NEIS is a fully-funded government program that provides business support to help you get your idea off the ground through:
- Free personalised mentoring, business advice and support from a NEIS provider (like us!);
- Free accredited small business training;
- Income support through Centrelink’s JobSeeker payments, NEIS Allowance or NEIS Rental Assistance (keep in mind that conditions apply).
The NEIS program doesn’t provide any start-up business grants or new business loans.
"It's great that everyday, I can wake up and do something new and exciting, but still be in my field of expertise."
How do I know if I’m eligible for NEIS?
You’re eligible for New Business Assistance with NEIS if you:
- are at least 18 years of age at the time of commencing in NEIS Assistance;
- are not prohibited by law from working in Australia;
- are available to participate in NEIS Training (if relevant) and work Full-Time in your proposed NEIS Business;
- have not received NEIS Assistance in the past year;
- are not an undischarged bankrupt.
If you are eligible for New Business Assistance, your NEIS provider will assess your business idea to ensure it:
- is not already operating on a commercial basis;
- has an independent business structure and is lawful;
- has been assessed as commercially viable by a NEIS provider;
- will be established, located and operated solely within Australia;
- will be structured so you have and will maintain a controlling interest over the NEIS business while participating in New Business Assistance.
"It's the confidence PeoplePlus give you to go and start your own business and the mentoring you receive for 12 months."
Is PeoplePlus a NEIS provider?
Yes! We are a New Enterprise Incentive Scheme provider and provide New Business Assistance. As a NEIS provider, we’ll work with you to help you turn your dreams into a successful business.
PeoplePlus deliver services for eligible participants in the following employment regions across Victoria
|+ Bendigo Region including:
||+ South Coast Region including:
||+ Wimmera Mallee Region including:
OK, I want to start my own business – how do I apply?
If you’re starting a small business and think you’re eligible, we’d love to support you. Submit your details through the NEIS page here and a NEIS Expert will get in touch.