If you’d like to start your own business, Asuria can help you as a provider of New Business Assistance With NEIS. We’ve had many success stories while implementing this program over the past 10 years as we've helped more than 650 people start their own businesses in a wide variety of categories.
The following are some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about NEIS:
What is NEIS?
New Business Assistance With NEIS is a program that’s funded by the Australian Government in order to help people who want to start their own businesses. It also assists people who own an existing micro-business that has been negatively affected by COVID-19.
Through a network of providers, the program provides up to 8,600 people nationwide with accredited small business training, help in developing a business plan, and personalised mentoring from a NEIS provider. In some cases, it also provides an allowance for up to 39 weeks and rental assistance for up to 26 weeks.
Who is Eligible for NEIS?
You’ll need to meet the following requirements in order to be eligible for NEIS:
- Be at least 18 years old when you start your business
- Be able to legally work in Australia
- Be available to work the required hours in your proposed business
- Have not received help from NEIS in the past year
- Not be an undischarged bankrupt.
In addition, your business idea needs to meet the following requirements:
- Will have an independent business structure
- Is lawful
- Is commercially viable
- Will be established, located, and operated solely in Australia
- Be structured so you’ll have a controlling interest over the business while participating in the program
- Is not yet operating on a commercial basis or is an existing micro-business negatively impacted by COVID-19.
What is a NEIS Provider?
A NEIS provider, like Asuria, is part of a nationwide group of entities that have been contracted to provide NEIS services.
How Do Asuria NEIS Experts Help Me?
As a NEIS provider, Asuria has helped more than 650 people over the past 10 years. We provide the training to help prospective owners of new businesses succeed, including:
- Planning for legal, business, and financial matters
- Getting the word out about your business through marketing, social media, promotion, and advertising
- Complying with your business registration requirements such as ABN (Australian Business Number), BAS (Business Activity Statement), and taxation
- Drawing up a comprehensive business plan.
We also provide entrepreneurs with the following:
- Expert mentors who are experienced in supporting business owners from idea to completion
- Expert advice and analysis to give you the best chance of success
- Income support for 39 weeks and 26 weeks of rental assistance, if you’re eligible
- Training that allows you to achieve a qualification in Micro Business Operations
- Additional support for a year if you’re under age 25
- Access to locally-based coordinators, trainers, and more.
What's Involved in NEIS Business Training?
NEIS business training helps you earn a nationally recognised small business qualification. Your Asuria Mentor will refer you to the best path based on your business idea. You’ll earn either a:
- Certificate III in Entrepreneurship and New Business or a
- Certificate IV in Entrepreneurship and New Business.
Who is Eligible for NEIS Income Support?
You may be able to receive income support in the form of a NEIS Allowance for up to the first 39 weeks of starting your business if you currently receive income support from Services Australia or the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). You’ll also need to work in your business for the number of hours specified in your business plan to possibly receive this support. Your NEIS Allowance may be affected by the amount of external income (such as from investments or other work) you receive.
NEIS also provides Rental Assistance as a fixed-rate payment lasting 26 weeks from when you first started to receive NEIS assistance. To qualify for this benefit, you’ll need to have been receiving Services Australia or DVA rental assistance before you begin to receive NEIS Allowance.
How Do I Start?
If you’re interested in finding out more about whether Asuria can help you achieve your dream of starting your own business through the NEIS program, fill out this short form and one of our NEIS experts will contact you within one business day. If you’d prefer to talk to us by phone, call 1800 773 338.