Starting your own business is a big step for anyone, but that’s especially true if you have no experience. Just reading about all the steps to accomplish is intimidating, but fortunately, you can get some expert - and free - help along the way.
This quick guide to starting a business with no experience will help you get started.
Starting a Business in Australia: Where should you start?
The Australian Government website business.gov.au has information about starting your own business, including a quiz you can take that helps you decide whether you’re ready to start your own business. You’ll also find a guide that outlines each step of starting a business to help you know what’s ahead.
The site contains some good information from a reliable source, but it can be quite intimidating to look at a list and think of all the things you’ll be responsible for as a new business owner - especially one who has no experience. These include preparing your finances, knowing the law, and marketing your business.
While these steps are crucial and it can help to have a general roadmap, you’ll also need practical, face-to-face help from an expert who has experience in helping potential entrepreneurs.
How do you know if your business idea is good?
The Government of Western Australia’s Small Business Corporation has a page on its website with advice on determining if your business idea is good.
Their steps include the following:
- Find out if there’s a demand for your product or services - The site gives you free access to IBISWorld’s market research and benchmarking information for free.
- Know your audience - You should know who your target audience is to determine whether your business idea is good. This will also help you market your business later.
- Know your competitors - Make a list of your competitors and analyse their pricing, marketing, and other aspects of their business.
- Look at your finances - You’ll need to know how much it will cost to get your business up and running as well as the ongoing costs of running it.
Are there any free resources to help?
Looking at websites with reliable information can help you think through your options and make a list of questions. But learning what you need to know is an involved process that can be tough to navigate on your own.
That’s where New Business Assistance with NEIS and Asuria come in. At Asuria, we provide you with a free NEIS expert who can help you every step of the way on your business launch. With experienced face-to-face help, your chances of understanding the process and successfully carrying out the steps needed to start your own business increase substantially.
In fact, we’ve helped over 650 people start and succeed from exactly where you are now - going from dreaming about owning a business to making it a reality.
Start the process by filling out an online form with your name and contact information and we’ll be back in touch within a workday. From there, we’ll arrange a meeting to help you get started.
As a NEIS provider, we can offer the following:
- Over 10 years of experience in helping potential entrepreneurs through NEIS
- Mentorship to help you every step of the way, from fine-tuning your ideas to knowing how to market your business
- Assistance with applying for NEIS income support and rental assistance (if you’re eligible)
- Ability to receive certification through a Certificate III in Micro Business Operations
- 12 months of support if you’re under 25
- Help in determining if your business is commercially viable
- Assistance with legal, business, and financial planning as well as business registration obligations
- Advice about marketing, promoting, and advertising, including through social media
- Help in developing a business plan.
How do you know if you’re eligible for Asuria’s help through NEIS?
Most people qualify for help, but you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- You’re at least 18.
- You can legally work in Australia.
- You are available to participate in any necessary training and be able to work full-time in your proposed business.
- You haven’t participated in the NEIS program in the past year.
- You aren’t an undischarged bankrupt.
To get started on the path to starting your own business, fill out a form with your contact information. One of our NEIS Experts will be in touch with you within a workday to help you start your journey to entrepreneurship.